Eek builds are bleeding edge variants of Pluckeye intended for testers, not regular users. Such variants should not be installed alongside ordinary Pluckeye because doing so results in 2 Pluckeye buttons in Firefox/Chrome, causing surprise, confusion, and general mayhem. Eek!
- No-Holds-Barred, a term used to describe fighting competitions that allow dangerous maneuvers.
NHB variants of Pluckeye are available below. But do not use them unless
- you have found the standard version of Pluckeye insufficient,
- you are willing to endure extreme Internet blocking,
- and you are bold, very bold.
The NHB variants come as is without any guarantee of fitness or warranty. Of course, so does standard Pluckeye. But NHB is even more unguaranteed.
Enter if you dare.
- On Linux, harden nhb.
- On Windows 8+ and Mac OS X, properly handle port blocking.
pluck add "block :443" pluck add "block :80"
- Add interface for nhb setting.
- Fix "small delay" bug in which delays greater than 0 but less than 10 minutes effective became 10 minutes.
- On Linux, harden nhb.
- On Mac OS X, avoid occasional kernel panic when upgrading.
- Remove block :443 rule from default rules. It is now implicit.
- On Windows and Mac OS X, improve global blackout/whiteout.
- On Windows 7, allow blocking based on IP and/or port.
- Add nhb option that makes low level components block "more". It is experimental.
pluck add nhb
The NHB variant is hereby retired.
- In Firefox, allow blocking of addons.mozilla.org.
- Avoid trailing ? in allow/block/revert buttons for some urls.
- Fix bug in which delay was erroneously set to 0 with certain sometimes settings.
- Fix bug relating to schedule calculation around daylight savings time.
- Properly handle http://192.168.1.1/
- Harden on Mac OS X.
- Support Firefox on Windows 7 and below, too.
- Improve Firefox startup.
- Internal improvements
- On Windows, fix prerequisites for machines with vc15 vcredist installed.
- On macosx, avoid intermittent Chrome blackout introduced in v0.60.0.
- Support Firefox 57+.
- On fedora, allow approvals.
- Avoid superfluous pluck tick processes (introduced in v0.60.0).
- pluckeye-windows-0.63.0.exe /NOCANCEL # for G.E.
- Fix bug in rules pertaining to ppsx, pptx, and a few other seldom-used formats (see https://forum.pluckeye.net/viewtopic.php?id=29 ).
- Do not maroon users who set the level to the rather meaningless value of "0".
- In Chrome, allow blocking of Chrome web store.
pluck add "block https://chrome.google.com/webstore"
- On Windows, use lazy vcredist strategy to reduce size of package by 1000%.
- On Windows, fix installation of eek and nhb variants on 32-bit windows.
- On Windows, close Firefox and Chrome when installing.
- On Windows, force close Chrome when installing.
- On Windows, bring back PLUCKEYE_README.TXT on Desktop.
- Optimize settings slightly.
- In firefox, fix expedite button (broken for some users).
- On Windows, fix level 2 when Secure Boot is enabled.
- On Windows, allow `pluck version`, not just `pluck.exe version`.
- On Windows, tweak a digital signature (single sign, not dual sign).
- On Windows, uninstall properly on Windows 7 without SP 1.
- Fix bug in handling of multiline approvals.
- Avoid warnings for expired approvals.
- On Windows, remove a few stragglers when uninstalling.
- On Windows, fix level 2 for some instances of Windows 10 Home x64.
- On Linux, avoid a warning from uninstaller when run as root.
- Pluckeye approvals (expedite button).
- Temporal button.
- Fix `pluck unbork` (broken in v0.52.0).
- Support German Windows (maybe). I doubt Firefox will work, but Chrome should.
- Fix `pluck set "level 2"` on some distributions of Linux (e.g. Debian).
- Re-add vcredist to eek builds.
- Replace "Deny" with "Block".
- Add nhb variant for bold linux folk.
- Fix race-condition button regression from 0.54.0.
- Fix level 2 on 32-bit Ubuntu 12.04.
- Improve sometimes and onetime handling when delay is nil.
- Improve unbork slightly.
- Launch Chrome correctly after installing on Mac OS X.
- Miscellaneous minor tweaks to installation code.
- Avoid two Pluckeye buttons for users of -eek builds.
- Dual sign Pluckeye code with SHA256 for newer Windows.
- On Linux-x86, fix settings registation from 0.51.0.
- Harden linux a little.
- Harden macosx a little.
- Show accurate next pending delay even when browser is restarted.
- Always show pending delay on settings page.
- Strip url fragments from "allow" dropdowns.
- Use an ellipsis for long urls.
- On Mac OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard), install (broken in v0.51.0).
- On Linux, fix broken install when libcurl is missing.
- On Windows, fix dependency bug in on-the-PATH pluck from 0.51.0.
- Fix write-overflow bug from 0.51.0.
- Fix copy-uninitialized-memory bug that on rare occasions corrupts settings.
- Improve behavior of unbork when settings are corrupt.
- On Windows, put pluck on the PATH (except on Windows XP).
- On Mac OS X, avoid bogus warnings when uninstalling.
- On Linux, if /tmp/pluckeye_url_log exists, show log history there.
- On Linux, improve support for chromium.
- On Linux, plug a small memory leak.
- Improve curl/wget support, especially on Mac OS X.
- Try harder to support Puppy Linux.
- Replace old accountability system. Old uuids hereby are
obsolesced, and https://u.pluckeye.net/ hereby replaces
http://user.pluckeye.net/ . Users of http://user.pluckeye.net/
should create accounts on https://u.pluckeye.net/ and look there
for further information on sharing your settings with others.
pluck add "registration basic"
- Allow https://www.google.com/recaptcha by default. Upgraders may
want to run:
pluck add "Allow https://www.google.com/recaptcha"
- On Linux x86-64, allow execution of decrediton, ethereumwallet, storjshare.
- On Fedora x86-64, allow chromium.
- On Linux x86-64, support all electron-based apps via PLUCKEYE_AA67 variable.
PLUCKEYE_AA67=1 some-electron-app &
- Fix broken install for Mac OS X 10.6.8 (it lacks strndup).
- In Firefox, fix iframe handling broken in v0.50.3.
- Avoid many pluck processes on linux and macosx under certain rare conditions.
- On Linux x86-64, allow execution of atom, Visual Studio Code, WordPress.com, slack.
- On Windows, add PLUCKEYE_README.TXT to desktop.
- In Firefox, allow videos from youtube.com when user clicks "allow" on youtube.com.
- Avoid umask-related permissions problems on Linux and Mac OS X.
- On Linux, fix uninstallation warning (introduced in v0.50.2).
- Recommend Firefox and Chrome on all platforms, and disable switching to level 2 within Chrome on Linux.
- Start Chrome and Firefox after installing on Windows.
- In Firefox, fix "allow" for facebook.com and many similar sites when multiprocess support is enabled (see about:support).
- Fix settings page in Firefox 24.
- Support chromium at level 2 on Linux and and Chrome at level 2 on Windows 7. Note that google-chrome-stable is still not supported on Linux.
- Use new directory structure.
- Put PLUCKEYE_README.TXT on desktop.
- Obsolesce pluckui.
- Improve support for http://safeyoutube.net/.
- Fix failure-to-connect problem on Google Sheets in Chrome.
- Fix history when Pluckeye integrates with package in Firefox.
- Allow atom to start when at level 2 on Linux.
- Avoid bogus warning on uninstall on linux.
- Only open 1 instance of Firefox after installing on Windows.
- Various refactorings.
- Allow user to easily block youtube.com as opposed to www.youtube.com.
- Block rtsp by default. Upgraders may want to run:
pluck add "Deny :322" pluck add "Deny :554"
- Handle (some) international domains.
- Warn user in browser if installation level is < 2
- Improve file extension and media type handling.
- Block .iso by default (live CD). Pluckeye upgraders may want to
apply these rules as well.
pluck add "Deny application/x-iso9660-image"
- Fix several performance woes when the number of settings is large (i.e., fix performance with big blacklist).
- Add more internal checks.
- Support Pluckeye news in browser.
- Add various internals checks.
- Optimize on linux and macosx.
- Fix horrible interaction with SELinux (e.g. Fedora) in which `pluck set "level 2"` would prevent the user from logging in. :-(
- Rework toolbar in Firefox and Chrome.
- Rename "deny" to "block".
- Rename "default" to "revert".
- Add 4 buttons and images in Firefox.
- Attempt to support for palemoon and firefox-24.
- with a nil delay, when allow is clicked, the current page no longer automatically reloads (F5 does refresh correctly).
- when a site is blocked, neither the revert nor allow buttons permit one to access the site. Going to Plucki history page and clicking the correct allow button does grant access
- when a page is blocked, consider having the message say "Blocked" instead of "Denied" for consistency.
- new release checking was broken
- Support Firefox 64 on Windows.
- Increasing registration is now instantaneous.
- Fix scheduling bug when schedule involves midnight.
- Allow onetime temporary rules using new "now" syntax (now+1h means for 1 hour, now+10m means for 10 minutes, etc., and M12-14 means next Monday 12-14)
pluck add "onetime now+1h allow a.com" pluck add "onetime now+1h allow https://a.com/blah" pluck add "onetime M12-14 allow a.com" pluck add "onetime M12-14 allow https://a.com/blah"
- Drop default allow for ssl.google.com (shows images from Olympics on www.google.com).
- Linux: Improve support for Puppy Linux, Slitaz Linux, and other non-LSB Linuxes.
- Windows: Unconditionally remove all settings on uninstall.
- Chrome: Enable uninstall button on Windows 7 and Linux when delay is 0.
- Fix broken allow/deny buttons on history page (broken in 0.43.0).
- Fix delay string when delay is 1 or more days.
- Treat wordpress.com as a top-level domain so that allowing a particular wordpress site does not allow all.
- Allow immediate level up even in the presence of a delay.
pluck set "level 1" pluck set "delay 1" pluck please set "level 2" # ok
- Windows: Fix scary uninstall warning on workstations that are members of a domain.
- Linux: Fix http parsing problem that allowed random resources to occasionally leak through.
- Fix automatic ticking (broken in v0.41.0).
- Add unbork executable in case of uninstallation problems.
- Fix Chrome-specific POST handling bug.
- Firefox: on Pluckeye button clicks, open a new tab.
- Chrome: add new release checking.
- Chrome: add crave, abort, lockdown, and blackout buttons.
- Start Chrome and Firefox when first installing Pluckeye to ensure the browser extensions load as they should.
- Chrome support for Windows 8+ and Mac OS X (but not Linux or Windows 7-!)
- Increasing the delay is now instantaneous.
pluck add "delay 1" pluck add "delay 2" # immediately changes delay to 2
- On Windows, automatically close Firefox during install.
- Allow reddit arrows by default.
- Fix uninstall bug on Windows.
- Avoid spurious error during uninstall on Mac OS X.
Failed to uninstall because pluckui "uninstall" failed with status: 512.
You may want to try `pluck uninstall` in a terminal window. See also http://www.pluckeye.net/how-to-uninstall.
- Improve installation level 2 on Mac OS X.
- Fix bug in http parser related to use of MSG_PEEK (wget).
- Fix broken Uninstall button on Pluckeye Settings page.
- Prevent pluckeye user from showing on macosx login screen.
- On macosx, ship a real pkg for the sake of users unfamiliar with the terminal.
- Put an uninstall button on the Pluckeye Settings page in Firefox.
- On macosx, use /usr/local/bin so that System Integrity Permission does not prevent a full install.
- In Firefox, allow deferral to any addon through pluck add "package
package-name-here". For example, to defer to Blocksi's judgement:
pluck add "package Block.si"
In 0.38.0, Firefox must be restarted after "package Block.si" takes effect.
- Multiprocess Firefox support on Windows 8-10.
- Add Pluckeye icon to installer.
- Fix installation level 2 on Windows 8+ (!).
- Improve netcat support again (gethostbyaddr).
- Fix a 32-bit/64-bit conflict related to url rules.
- Add interface for new release notification control in Plucki.
- Fix bug involving memory conflict between 32-bit and 64-bit processes on linux and macosx. One symptom of this bug is 32-bit skype misbehaving on 64-bit linux.
- Add new release notifications to Plucki.
- On Windows, prompt users to close Firefox before uninstalling, and prompt for reboot when necessary.
- Support multiprocess firefox.
- Add url log button.
- Look for data-uri images on all sites, not just google and bing image search pages.
- Add psuedo media type image/data to represent data-uri.
- Set umask appropriately when installing on Linux and Mac OS X.
- Avoid permissions problems under multiuser setup when using Windows 7 and Cygwin sshd.
- Fix BAD_FORMAT in pluck on macosx (introduced in 0.31.1).
$ pluck set 'delay 1' $ pluck set 'delay 0' Segmentation fault
- Fix less-harmful BAD_FORMAT in pluck on Windows (introduced in 0.31.1).
- Improve look of gmail. Pluckeye upgraders may want to apply these
rules as well.
pluck add "Allow ssl.gstatic.com" pluck add "Allow https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images"
- Include Mozilla-signed version of Plucki 1.5.6.
Firefox 43.05b disables unsigned Plucki, and does not allow the user to override (!).
- Add to default rules ones that improve the look of gmail.
- Per-url rules
pluck add "Allow http://a.com/a-resource" pluck add "Allow http://a.com/b-resource image/" pluck add "Allow http://a.com/c-resource image/png" pluck add "Deny http://a.com/d-resource" pluck add "Deny http://a.com/e-resource image/" pluck add "Deny http://a.com/f-resource image/png"
- Improve netcat support (gethostbyaddr).
- Use C++ on Linux and Mac OS X.
- Rename pluckui with pluck, and cease installing pluckapi as a separate binary.
pluckui add "allow a.com" # the old way, will still work for awhile pluck add "allow a.com" # the new way
- Implement per-program whiteout/blackout. E.g.,
pluckui add "program /usr/lib/virtualbox/VirtualBox whiteout" pluckui add "program /usr/lib/virtualbox/VBoxNetNAT whiteout" pluckui add "sometimes 8-9 program /usr/bin/ruby whiteout"
- Change rule scoring such that when we have 'Allow c.com', application/octet-stream from a.b.c.com is not denied.
pluck add "Allow c.com" pluck add "Deny application/octet-stream"
- Fix 2 bugs that prevented installation on most Mac OS X machines.
- Pluckeye binaries should be owned by root.
- Fix image blocking on https://www.google.pl/ and similar domains.
- Fix "unable to find compatible binaries at ./pluckeye-linux-0.28.2.installer line 25" (use older glibc).
- Fix installation problem on non-English versions of Windows.
- Fix plucki whitelist button for a.com.au and similar generic-second-level domain names.
- Fix pluckui.exe add "registration basic" on Windows.
- Fix bug in setting of installation levels on Windows 32-bit machines.
- On settings page, properly handle pending delay of 0.
- Add installation levels, and default to level 1, even on linux.
- Allow delay and installations to be set from within firefox.
- Add support for Windows installation level 2 (XP not supported).
- Change default delay to 0 seconds.
- Plug memory leak from v0.22.0.
Upgraders on linux may want to run:
pluckui set "level 2"
- Fix upgraded installation on gentoo with multilib.
- Suppress error message when ~/.mozilla is absent.
- Fix bug that caused settings to be destroyed when upgrading Pluckeye on linux and macosx.
- Install Plucki to /usr/lib/firefox/browser/extensions on gentoo-like hosts.
- During installation, detect and remove manually installed Plucki if present.
- Improve post-install verification.
- Quiet a few misleading error messages during install.
- Fix this problem:
jon@teresa ~/Downloads $ sudo ./pluckeye-linux-0.21.2.installer >/dev/null jon@teresa ~/Downloads $ sudo ./pluckeye-linux-0.21.2.installer < pluckexe/install/linux/lv2.c:59: error 53 < pluckexe/install/linux/lv2.c:59: error 53 < pluckexe/install/uninstall.c:478: exiting
- On unices, fix post-installation Firefox activation.
- Fix broken install on macosx.
- Fix deletion of pluckeye system user when uninstalling on linux.
This version changes how and where Pluckeye installs. Once you upgrade to 0.21.0, I recommend against downgrading to a previous version unless you manually save your settings first, like so:
pluckui export >/var/tmp/pluckeye-settings
- Unify 32-bit and 64-bit linux packages.
- Support multilib on linux.
- Change several aspects of installation and uninstallation.
- In Firefox, hide popup after any Plucki button is clicked.
- Allow application/x-unknown-content-type by default because it is
usually associated with benign content. Those upgrading from a
previous version of Pluckeye should run the following command to
pluckui rm "Deny application/x-unknown-content-type"
- Block application/x-bittorrent by default. Those upgrading from a
previous version of Pluckeye should run the following command to
pluckui add "Deny application/x-bittorrent"
- Show add/rm in output of delayed settings
$ pluckui export | grep "# at" # at 2015-06-25 12:16:33 add Allow a.com
- Allow viewing of youtube videos from whitelisted pages.
E.g., after this
pluckui add "Allow beltoftruth.com"
Pluckeye should show videos on http://www.beltoftruth.com/ .
- Fix another WRITE_OVERFLOW bug in sometimes rules.
- Tweak default rules to deny application/octet-stream because several servers use it rather than more descriptive media types.
- Rewrote substantial parts of sometimes rules engine (hrs3-c).
- Fix problems with some weekly schedules.
- Handle application/vnd.rn-realmedia and application/vnd.rn-realmedia-vbr mime types (and block them by default).
- Add onetime rules.
Here are some examples:
pluckui add "Onetime 20150603111300-20150603123000 Allow facebook.com" pluckui add "Onetime now-20150603123000 blackout"
- Handle the application/mp4 mime type (and block it by default).
- Only write to url_log if "registration local" is used. It was formerly written to for debugging purposes.
- Ship plucki.xpi that was recently signed by Mozilla.
- Add sometimes rules. A full description of the format is not yet published, but here are some examples:
pluckui add "sometimes 0-6&20-24 blackout" # allow nothing at night pluckui add "sometimes 12-13 whiteout" # allow everything over lunch pluckui add "sometimes MWF18-19 allow amazon.com" # Mon, Wed, Fri 6-7pm pluckui add "sometimes M8-9&13-15.T10-11 allow ebay.com" # Mon 8-9am and 1-3pm, Tue 10-11am
- Fix bug that caused pluckui to be invoked every 10 seconds
- Add blackout setting that cuts off the entire Internet, overriding other Pluckeye settings.
- Add whiteout setting that allows the entire Internet, overriding
other Pluckeye settings. The delay imposed for whiteout is the
greater of the Pluckeye delay and 24 hours. This setting is
intended to allow for planned use without Pluckeye interfering,
and may be useful for sites such as:
pluckui add blackout # instant pluckui rm blackout # after Pluckeye delay pluckui add whiteout # after the greater of Pluckeye delay and 24 hours pluckui rm whiteout # instant
- Tweak automatic settings refreshing.
- On installation, do not wait for xdg-open to exit.
- Avoid scary firefox message after install: (process:3876): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_slice_set_config: assertion 'sys_page_size == 0' failed
- Fix several bugs Mac OS X install/uninstall (v0.14.0).
- Use preferred browser for post-install page.
- Show congratulations in console unconditionally for chromium users.
- Implement basic registration for accountability.
- Fix pending-whitelist performance bug (v0.0.0).
- Fix settings conversion at installation time (v0.12.0).