What is Pluckeye
Pluckeye, the filter
Pluckeye is a filter for people who want to limit their Internet access. The most common reason for using Pluckeye is to limit or eliminate the amount of time spent
- using porn
- using facebook, twitter, instagram, and other social media
- gaming online
- gambling online
- shopping online
- checking email
If you do any of these more than you want to, Pluckeye may be able to help you change how you use the Internet.
What makes Pluckeye distinctive?
Pluckeye gives the end-user final say over filtering while also being difficult to circumvent. This combination is sometimes called self-control mode, and it is rarely an explicit feature in an Internet filter.
Behavioral economists might call Pluckeye a "hand-tying device" – something you do in the present to limit your options in the future (think of Odysseus tying himself to the mast before hearing the Sirens). It lets you make your Internet decisions in moments of strength rather than moments of weakness. You design your own settings, but your changes don't take effect until later. That means that strong impulses to view porn, waste hours on Facebook, etc. may arise, but in that moment they will be limited. And as Odysseus points out, that is a good thing, because if he could have swum to the Sirens he would have, and they would have killed him.
Here are the details:
- Pluckeye supports Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, and Android (alpha). See also this frequently asked question.
- Pluckeye's target audience are those who want a self-control filter rather than parents looking to protect their kids.
- Pluckeye doesn't use password protection; rather it uses a delay system for configuration. See also this frequently asked question.
- Pluckeye can block some content but allow other content from the same web host, based on Internet media types or urls.
- Pluckeye doesn't come with a big prepackaged list of web resources that it should block or allow; most configuration is up to the user.
- Pluckeye aims not at convenience but at inconvenience!
- Pluckeye blocks all images and videos from the Internet out-of-the-box.
A short video
This video demonstrates Pluckeye in action.
Pluckeye, the way of life
Ye have heard that it was said by them of old time, thou shalt not commit adultery: but I say unto you, that whosoever looketh on a woman to lust after her hath committed adultery with her already in his heart. And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell. And if thy right hand offend thee, cut it off, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell.
– Matthew 5:27-30, KJV